Thursday, June 17, 2010

Persepolis

Sadly, I am disappointed. Not that it wasn't good... but it didn't have the same impact for me as the book did. Also, it combined the book and its sequel, so perhaps that is why I didn't feel the same emotional connection. I enjoyed the childhood scenes far more than I did the ones that followed Marjane into her young adulthood abroad.

The movie begins and ends with her at the airport, not in Tehran. These scenes are the only ones animated with color. I thought this was a little too obvious and heavy-handed.

However, the animation itself was really interesting! It was beautiful and very different from any animation I had seen before. It was all done the old fashioned way as well, no computers here! All artists and tracers for every single frame. I actually most enjoyed watching the special features to learn how this type of animation is done. The time and meticulous detail that is required for producing this type of animation is amazing. Things like maintaining the thickness of a line so that the image doesn't appear to wobble were gone into in great detail. Every single image had to be traced with a black felt tip pen to perfection.. Since this movie was all in black and white, every single line stood out. It was visually a treat. But I felt that the narrative dragged because it attempted to span too long a period of time.

No comments: